background image

Business Licensing

Doing Business In The City Of Ocean Shores

Per Title 5.02 of the Ocean Shores Municipal Code, businesses operating, located at or occupying premises within the city are required to have a city business license endorsement in addition to a WA state license.

The City of Ocean Shores has partnered with the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS)  to process all City of Ocean Shores’ business licenses and renewals.

Click here for the Department of Revenue Washington State Business Licensing Services.

For more information visit or call 360-705-6741

Unsure of where to start with licensing requirements for your business? Try DOR’s Business Licensing Wizard

The City of Ocean Shores reviews all new business license endorsements, the review process can take between 2-4 weeks, plus any state processing times. All general business licenses with customers visiting the location are required to have a building and fire inspection at the owner’s expense before the endorsement is approved.

Business & Occupational Tax Information

Per Title 3.38 of the Ocean Shores Municipal Code, taxes are collected from every person engaging in business activities within the city, whether the person’s office or place of business is within or outside of the City. Gross receipt revenue earned within the City of Ocean Shores is subject to taxation of 0.2% unless exemptions allowed per RCW 82.04 or OSMC 3.38.090. All businesses with an active city endorsement are required to file a B&O tax form regardless of the amount of tax due.

Please note that City B&O taxes are not administered or collected by WA DOR. All City B&O taxes are to be paid directly to the City on a quarterly or annual basis.

Any B&O taxes turned in after the due date are subject to penalties set by OSMC 3.39.110 and RCW 82.32.090(1).

 Click here for a blank copy of the quarterly B&O tax form.

Click here for instructions on filing B&O taxes for the City of Ocean Shores.

Completed B&O Tax forms and payments can be dropped off at the Utility Billing Office at 800 Anchor Ave NW Building D or mailed to City of Ocean Shores B&O Taxes, PO Box 909, Ocean Shores, WA 98569.

For B&O Tax questions and inquiries contact:
Melissa Lentz
Phone: 360-940-7527

Click for more information

Mobile Food Vendors

Per Title 17.56 of the Ocean Shores Municipal Code, the City of Ocean Shores does allow mobile food vendors to engage in the business of cooking, preparing, and distributing food or beverage on a privately-owned commercial property.

If a food truck, trailer, cart, or tent operation is interested in operating in Ocean Shores, they are required to fill out a Mobile Food Vendor Application, provide the necessary documentation, and pay the $250 application fee to the City Clerk’s Office. Once an application is received, it will undergo review by several departments; part of the review process includes a required safety and fire inspection. If approved, the Business License Clerk will issue a permit that will need to be displayed at all times of operation within Ocean Shores. Mobile food vendors operating solely at Ocean Shores Convention Center events are exempt from a Mobile Food Vendor Permit.

Mobile Food Vendor Permits are an annual permit with a $250 annual fee. Renewal fees can be submitted to the Business Licensing Clerk and dropped off at the Utility Billing Office at 800 Anchor Ave NW Building D or mailed to PO Box 909, Ocean Shores, WA 98569.

Nightly Rentals

Nightly rentals must have a city business license endorsement for each property of operation. Instructions on adding secondary licenses to a state business license can be found at The property location on the endorsement application must match the physical location of the rental. Failure to submit the correct information will result in the denial of the endorsement.

As part of the endorsement review process, nightly rentals are required to have a building and safety inspection prior to operation and approval of the endorsement. Building inspections follow the International Building Code regulations. Failure to schedule a building and safety inspection will result in the denial of the endorsement.

All nightly rentals are subject to business and occupational taxation. Do note that B&O tax is not collected by any third-party service and cannot be collected as part of the rental fee, it is solely based on gross revenue. B&O taxes are not filed by third-party services such as, but not limited to Airbnb, Vacasa, Evolve, etc.


Construction and Specialty Contractors must have an active L&I registration to be approved for an endorsement. For more information visit Failure to have an active L&I contractor’s registration 30 days after an endorsement application is filed, will result in the denial of the endorsement. Contractors denied a license may reapply when their L&I registration is active.

 Additional business-related information:

Greater Grays Harbor Regional Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Council
SCORE , the nation’s largest network of volunteer, expert business mentors, is dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals.
Secretary of State (Corporations) - To register your business in Washington State
US Small Business Administration - The SBA is the only cabinet-level federal agency fully dedicated to small business and provides counseling, capital, and contracting expertise as the nation’s only go-to resource and voice for small businesses.
DOR Resources – Business management resources from the Department of Revenue