Residential Electric Rates

Electric service is provided by Grays Harbor Public Utility District (PUD) No. 1, located in Aberdeen.  Information on rates and charges may be obtained by calling the Public Utility District at 360.532.4220.




Natural Gas

Natural gas is not available in Ocean Shores.  Propane is available from suppliers in the Aberdeen and Hoquiam area.


Residential Telephone

These services are available through various local providers.


Real Estate Excise Tax

A real estate excise tax of 1.53% is imposed on the selling price of real property in Ocean Shores.  Of this amount a small portion is credited to the City’s Capital Improvement Fund.  Further information on the real estate excise tax is available from your Realtor.


Sales Tax

The sales tax rate in Ocean Shores is 8.4%.  It is paid to the Washington State Department of Revenue either monthly, quarterly or annually, depending on the type and volume of business.


Hotel/Motel Tax

A 5.0% sales tax on transient rentals (rentals for less than 30 consecutive days) is to be collected by operators of all types of “overnight rental” establishments, including private residences.  This tax is remitted to the State Department of Revenue which passes it through to the City for use in funding Convention Center operations and promoting tourism.


Community Club Membership

Certain property owners in Ocean Shores are required to maintain membership in the Ocean Shores Community Club.  Call 289.2433 for further information.  The Community Club is not affiliated with the City in any manner.



The Ocean Shores peninsula has a high water table which may classify some areas of the City as wetlands.  Property owners should be aware that city, state and federal agencies maintain jurisdiction in Ocean Shores and may require special permitting prior to obtaining building permits for clearing and construction projects.

Online Payments

The City of Ocean Shores can now accept online Credit Card payments for the following:

Utility Bills and Local Improvment District (LID) Assessments.

Please click on the link below and follow the instructions to make your payment.

There is a service fee charged by the company providing this service.


If you do not have your account infomation, please call the corresponding number below.

Utility Billing 360.289.2487
LID Assessments:425.885.1604
Public Finance 425.885.1604

Click HERE to go to Official Payments



The City has adopted a Comprehensive Plan and is zoned.  This imposes limitations on land use, not unlike those in any other Washington city.  Both the Comprehensive Plan General Land Use Map and the Zoning Map are posted at the Permit Center for public access.

Restrictive land use covenants contained in the plats of the City are matters of private concern among property owners.  The City is not involved in their enforcement.


Recreational Vehicles and tents

The Municipal Code regulates the use and storage of recreational vehicles (RV’s) and the use of tents on vacant lots in Ocean Shores.  A Camping Permit issued by the Police Department is required to park an RV or erect a tent on a vacant lot, and must be posted at the street line next to the driveway.  Tent camping is permitted only in conjunction with a self-contained RV or an RV attached to an approved sanitary system.  An RV/tent may only be used as living quarters for a maximum of 90 days in any calendar year, regardless of the number of lots owned, and may not be stored on a vacant lot.  There are also limitations on the number of RV’s/tents per lot, setback requirements, sanitation requirements, etc.  These regulations are available at the Police Department, City Hall, Permit Center and online here in the Ocean Shores Municipal Code.

A self-service registration box is also available at the Police Department.


nightly rentals

The Municipal Code regulates the use of private residences as overnight rental properties (“transient rentals”).  A citizen voted initiative was passed in May of 1993 which had the effect of:  1) prohibiting any new overnight rentals in residentially zoned areas of Ocean Shores and: 2) the phasing out of existing overnight rental permits.  Please also be advised that transient rental permits are not transferable when properties are sold.  In February 2003, a citizen voted initiative failed to allow rentals of less that thirty days in areas zoned for commercial and multi-family use in the City of Ocean Shores.


Non-accessory Structures

City ordinances allow the construction of non-accessory structures (one shed-type structure, boat dock, steps, detached fence, or other minor construction), which are independent of any principal structure, on undeveloped real property.  The request must go through the SEPA process and there is a $75.00 SEPA fee.  Standards and application procedures are available at the Permit Center.


Residential Water Rates

5/8” meter (developed lots)    $10.92 p/month

Usage    $.04901 p/cubic ft.

For purposes of this section (water), a “developed” lot is one with a water meter, driveway, etc.  The rate quoted is for a lot with 5/8” meter.  The base charge increases with meter size, and applies regardless of usage or whether the meter is turned on or off.  The charge to install a 5/8” main tap meter is $710.  A drop-in 5/8”meter installation is $295. The system development charge (SDC) for a lot with a 5/8" water meter is $1,549.  Both the “base” and “usage” water rates are reviewed by the City Council for adequacy in providing revenue to operate and maintain the water utility.  Further information on water rates is available from the City of Ocean Shores Utility Billing Office.


Residential Sanitary Sewer Rates

Developed Lots    $21.90 p/mo

Note: Other commercial rates may apply.

For purposes of this section (sanitary sewer), a “developed” lot is one with sanitary sewer service available and connected.  The charge applies to all such lots, regardless of water usage or whether the water is turned on or off.  Connection to the sewer system requires payment of a $500 sewer connection fee.  The system development charge (SDC) for a lot with a 5/8" water meter is $510.

All sewer rates for connected properties are reviewed by the City Council. Further information on sanitary sewer rates is available from the City of Ocean Shores Utility Billing Office.


Residential/Vacant Lot Storm Drainage Rates

All Lots    .000325/sq.ft. p/month

The charge applies to all such lots, regardless of water usage or whether an existing water meter is turned on or off. There are no connection or installation charges for storm drainage.

This storm drainage charge helps maintain the city’s storm drainage facilities and the quality of its fresh waterways.

Storm drain rates are reviewed by the City Council as part of the budget development process for adequacy and providing revenue to operate and maintain the storm drainage facilities.  Further information on storm drainage rates is available from the City of Ocean Shores Utility Billing Office.


Residential Garbage Collection

The City of Ocean Shores has mandatory garbage collection for all residents and businesses.  The fee includes recycling for a voluntary one tote curbside collection for all recyclables except glass.  There is a glass receptacle located next to the animal control facility in Ocean Shores.  Further information can be obtained from LeMay - Harbor Disposal - in Aberdeen.
Campers may purchase large Ocean Shores logo bags at the Police Deparment and Permit Center on weekdays and the Visitor Information Center on weekends, which allow for disposal of trash in the dumpster next to the Permit Center.

Residential Building Permits

Ocean Shores has adopted the International Building Code.  Charges for building permits are based on Building Valuation Data as published by the International Code Council OSMC 15.08.040.  A 2,000 square foot home valued at $194,000 would aggregate an estimated $3,005 Building Permit Fee.  This is in addition to the water and sewer fees discussed herein.  The Building Department has informational packets for persons interested in new construction or remodeling their homes.


Business Licenses and B&O Taxes

For persons interested in opening a business in Ocean Shores, including home occupations, a business license is required. The annual fee for all business licenses is $50.  An additional $50 is required for any necessary Fire Department inspection. Any business grossing $5,000 or more in a quarterly period is required to pay a .0020% B&O tax on gross receipts.  Further information on Business Licenses and B&O taxes is available at City Hall Utility Billing Office.


Unpaid LID and PUD Assessment

Many properties in Ocean Shores carry unpaid LID and/or PUD assessments.  Prospective buyers are encouraged to check the existence and status of such assessments with Public Finance, Inc. (LID’s) and Grays Harbor Public Utility District (PUD assessments).  You will need the Division, Block and Lot numbers of the property to check this information.


Pets in Ocean Shores

No livestock, poultry, or exotic animals shall be raised or kept within the City.  A maximum number of three animals (pets) per household are permitted in Ocean Shores. All cats and dogs shall be licensed and registered annually, within thirty days of acquisition by the owner, or within thirty days of being moved into the City.  Animals will be subject to a licensing fee and licenses will be issued through Ocean Shores Utility Billing.  For more information contact the Ocean Shores Utility Billing Department at 289.2487.